The Expat Interview Series began as a way to give expats around Asturias a space to tell their story of why they moved to their new home, and how they did it. If you want to be part of the series, get in touch!
INTERVIEW WITH TOBY GOVAN
- Name: Toby Govan
- Job: Sculptor (http://www.tobygovan.com)
- Age: 50
- Where do you come from?
I was born in Edinburgh, but I was brought up in Estepona (Málaga).
- WHERE DO YOU CURRENTLY LIVE AND HOW DID YOU COME TO BE THERE?
I live in Corvera, a young and modern town in the outskirts of Avilés. I came here because of my wife Silvia. I met her because she ordered a sculpture online and when I sent it she insisted on me coming to Asturias, so I said… why not? And the rest is just nature following its course.
- WHAT IS YOUR OPINION OF ASTURIAS?
Fantastic! For me, it was the great unknown… totally unexpected! The lush green landscape is so refreshing!!
- IS THERE SOMETHING THAT YOU WISH YOU’D KNOWN BEFORE MOVING?
That summers are like a lottery…. sometimes sunny, sometimes rainy.
- WHAT WAS THE MOST DIFFICULT ASPECT OF MOVING TO ASTURIAS?
People are really nice but very different to the south.
- WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE PLACE IN ASTURIAS?
I think it must be Covadonga and the Lagos de Enol. It’s magical and spiritual…
- LET’S TALK ABOUT LOCAL GASTRONOMY… WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE ASTURIAN DISH?
Everyone would say fabada, but I really enjoy a good cachopo!!!